1st Call for Proposals
The International Year of Indigenous Languages 2019: Perspectives Conference
Purdue University Fort Wayne, Indiana
October 31 – November 2, 2019
About the conference
The conference will celebrate the United Nations’ International Year of Indigenous Languages from a variety of perspectives including policy, education, linguistic, community, and others. Experts from around the globe have been invited to participate in panels, present keynote talks, and share their work and experiences in promoting Indigenous languages.Conference themes will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Community achievements and Indigenous languages
- Community collaborations and partnerships
- Educational policy for language revitalization and maintenance
- Indigenous languages in the contemporary world
- Indigenous voices in popular culture (e.g. social media, fiction, poetry, film, hip hop)
- Indigenous languages and multilingualism
- Diaspora and Indigenous language learning
While proposals that address these themes are especially encouraged, proposals on other subjects related to Indigenous languages are also welcomed.
In the spirit of this celebration, participants will share their experiences and knowledge and thus bring community voices, policy voices, and academic voices together.
Presentation format: Paper, poster, performance, and technology or other type of showcase
Presentation time slots: Papers and performances will be allowed 30 minutes (20 minutes for presentation + 10 minutes for questions and answers). Poster presentations will run during a determined time slot, but posters will be displayed throughout the day of the poster presentation. Technology or other type of showcases may choose between a presentation time slot or an exhibit booth.
Proposal deadline: March 1, 2019
Notification of acceptance: April 1, 2019
Proposal submission information
- Language: Proposals should be submitted in English, but presentations can be in any language (we ask that presenters ensure that translation in English is made possible in order to be accessible to all participants, while we cannot provide translators we will work with presenters as needed to this end). Because we anticipate a number of non-experts to participate in the conference, we ask that your proposals and, if accepted, your presentations and posters be devoid of technical jargon and directed towards a non-expert audience.
- Number of proposals: Authors may submit no more than one individual and one co‑authored proposal, or no more than two co-authored proposals
- Content: Proposals should describe the content of the presentation, including the intended audience and how it relates to the conference themes
- Length: Please limit your proposal to 500 words, not including references
- Anonymity: To facilitate blind peer review, please do not include your name or affiliation in your proposal or filename. Your proposal should only include your presentation title, proposal content, and list of references (if applicable)
- Format: Please submit your abstract as a PDF file or as a Word document
- Due date: Proposals are due by March 1, 2019
- Submission system: We will use the EasyChair Proposal submission system. To be able to use this system, you will first need to sign up for a free EasyChair Author account, if you don't already have one. From there you can submit your abstract as an Author and make any updates or modifications to your proposal submission up to the submission deadline. Submit your proposal here to EasyChair. If you should have questions about the system, please contact Carmen Jany at email@example.com .
- Other submission possibilities: Hard copy submissions will be accepted from those who do not have Internet access. Please send one hard copy of your proposal, along with the following information: (1) your name, (2) affiliation, (3) mailing address, (4) phone number, (5) email address, and (6) title of your paper. Hard copies must be post-marked on or before March 15, 2019 and may be sent to:
IYIL Conference/Carmen Jany
5500 University Parkway
San Bernardino, CA, United States 92407