AAAL members promote principled approaches to language-related concerns, including language education, acquisition and loss, bilingualism, discourse analysis, literacy, rhetoric and stylistics, language for special purposes, psycholinguistics, second and foreign language pedagogy, language assessment, and language policy and planning.
- Discounted conference registration fees for the AAAL Annual Conference.
- Eligibility for recognition via AAAL awards such as the Distinguished Scholarship and Service Award, Graduate Student Awards, Book Award, First Book Award, Dissertation Award, Research Article Award.
- Quarterly newsletter, the AAALetter.
- Discounts on a number of language related books and journals, as well as access to online publisher offerings.
- Complimentary membership in AILA, the International Association of Applied Linguistics along with all the benefits of AILA membership (including a discount to the World Congress of Applied Linguistics).
- Access to resources such as the AAAL Guidelines for Publishing in Applied Linguistics and resources on Funding Sources.
- Electronic access to the current and archived AILA Review, published by John Benjamins Publishing Company.
- Electronic access to the current and archived Annual Review of Applied Linguistics (ARAL), an official journal of the American Association for Applied Linguistics, published by Cambridge University Press (limit one per member).
- Eligibility to participate in the Expert Directory.
- Eligibility to participate in Resolutions and Position Statements.
- Access to the Member Directory.
- Networking with other AAAL Members.
- Access to a list of academic job openings in applied linguistics.
- Access to a list of Applied Linguistics Conferences and Calls for Proposals.
- Opportunity to participate in the Graduate Student Council (GSC), including GSC Webinars.
- Opportunity to participate in the Social Justice Listserv.
- Opportunity to participate in AAAL task forces and projects, including those who wrote the Promotion & Tenure Guidelines, wrote the ethics guidelines, compiled funding resources, wrote Guidelines for Publishing, endorsed the Guidelines for communicating rights to non-native speakers of English in Australia, England and Wales, and the USA , etc.
- Access to the calendar of applied linguistics events and call for proposals.
- Feeling professional validation from membership.
- Participation with AAAL colleagues in outreach and social justice activities, including Position Statements and the Social Justice Listserv.
- Participation in the AAAL Goodreads Group.