(Revised November 12, 2021)
AAAL promotes high-quality and impactful research, professional networking, and intellectual development in all areas of applied linguistics. The Association supports ethical and informed understandings of language-related processes and practices from multiple research paradigms. AAAL is committed to building and sustaining just and equitable conditions for individuals, communities, and societies.
To accomplish this mission, AAAL
- creates opportunities for scholarly communication, professional networking, and inclusive mentorship by hosting an annual conference and a variety of online events and by supporting academic and professional publications;
- expands members’ capacity to do research for social betterment, to collaborate with communities, and to disseminate insights to the wider society;
- promotes the status of applied linguistics in the academy by providing ethical and professional leadership as well as supporting scholarly development and professional advancement;
- recognizes excellence in research, scholarship, advocacy, and public service via AAAL awards;
- fosters the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and access in the functioning of the Association and the implementation of its mission.
Who We Are:
The American Association for Applied Linguistics is a professional society of scholars from the United States, Canada, and over 50 other countries worldwide. Members use a wide variety of theoretical frameworks and methodological approaches to address a broad range of language-related issues that affect individuals, communities, and society.
One of AAAL’s primary activities is a four-day annual conference, which typically takes place in March. Welcoming scholars from around the globe, the conference has a reputation as a comprehensive and stimulating professional event that offers thought-provoking plenary presentations; intellectually stimulating colloquia, paper sessions, poster sessions, and roundtable discussions; professional development and mentoring opportunities; excellent book exhibits; and plentiful opportunities for networking with applied linguists from North America and countries around the world.