AAAL 2024 Call for Nominations
Deadline: September 15, 2023- Nominations are now closed
The American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL) invites AAAL members to self-nominate or nominate other candidates who are deemed suitable to run for election to serve the Association. Elected members will begin their work after the AAAL March 2025 Conference, with the exception of Nominating Committee members, who will begin in summer 2024, immediately after the election is held. Individuals who are interested in running must be current AAAL members in good standing and must maintain their AAAL membership for the duration of the commitment. To learn more about AAAL governance, go to: https://www.aaal.org/governance
Nominations (including self nominations) are being accepted for the following positions:
- (1) Second Vice President
- (1) Treasurer
- (1) Member-at-Large
- (1) Fund for the Future of Applied Linguistics (FFAL) Trustee
- (4) Nominating Committee Members
- (2) Book Award Committee Members
- (2) Research Article Award Committee Members
Evaluation will be based on (1) where stipulated within the role description (see Standing Rules), prior service to date to AAAL and/or disciplinary and professional expertise relevant to the committee; (2) alignment with AAAL’s stated mission, values, and commitments, including capacity to support the association’s commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
All elected individuals serve in a strictly voluntary capacity. There is no financial compensation. Being elected into the position does not include a waiver of membership dues or conference registration fees. Travel or accommodation for the annual conference will not be covered. Attendance to some in-person EC meetings is mandatory, in the case of Executive Committee (EC) members (Second Vice President, Treasurer, Member-at-Large). In those cases, AAAL covers limited travel expenses and accommodation expenses.
If you wish to self-nominate, please submit the following materials via the self-nomination form for evaluation by the Nominating Committee. (If you wish for nominate someone else, please use the colleague nomination form, and AAAL will contact them to request the needed materials):
- complete and updated contact information including current position/title, institution/company/organization, department/program/unit/division, and address with country, email address, and phone number
- a professional organization service record statement (service to AAAL and/or other organizations) (no more than 250 words)
- a formal biographical statement containing information relevant to the position (no more than 250 words)
- a Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) statement indicating their past, present and future commitment to observing and/or promoting JEDI practices (no more than 300 words).
Nominations will be reviewed by the Nominating Committee (NOMCO), which is comprised of the Committee Chair (Amanda Kibler), President-Elect (Peter De Costa: ex officio), and four newly elected members (Guofang Li, Julieta Fernandez, Emma Trentman, and Jamie Schissel). The slate of selected nominees will be announced at the Association’s business meeting during the AAAL 2024 Conference in Houston, Texas.
Selected nominations will be placed on the ballot in Summer 2024 for consideration by AAAL members. With the exception of Nominating Committee members, who begin work in Summer 2024 (immediately after election results are known), all other elected members begin their work after the AAAL 2025 Conference in Denver, Colorado (March 22-25, 2025).
Current committee chairs and leaders would like to share their experiences as a way to encourage AAAL Members to take an active role in their community. Please take a moment to watch the video clips here to learn more about these open positions.
If you have any questions about this call, please contact the Chair of the Nominating Committee, Amanda Kibler, at nominations@AAAL.org.
The deadline to nominate: September 15, 2023.