Call for Nominations
The Second Language Research SIG Mid-Career Award
This award honors an outstanding scholar who has developed a research agenda for between six and 15 years beyond the conferral of the doctoral degree. The award is designed to recognize an individual with a promising program of research on significant issues reflecting the purpose and goals of the Second Language Research SIG: (1) to advance knowledge related to second language education; (2) to encourage scholarly inquiry related to second language education; and (3) to promote the use of research to improve teaching and learning. The award recipient will be officially recognized at the AERA Annual Meeting in 2021 and will be invited to give a brief address during our SIG business meeting.
Nominees will be evaluated based upon the following criteria:
(1) The nominated mid-career researchers must have developed a clear and coherent research agenda (over 6-15 years beyond the conferral of the doctoral degree);
(2) The nominated mid-career researchers will be evaluated on the aims, potential outcomes, and the overall degree to which their research advances knowledge in the field of second language research, promotes equity and access for students, teachers, teacher educators, communities, and/or families, and influences the creation, collection, and analysis of data.
(3) The nominated mid-career researchers must demonstrate a strong record of publications that reaches audiences in peer-reviewed research journals and/or practitioner-oriented journals, widely-disseminated reports from professional organizations, or scholarly books published by university or other academic presses.
(4) Nominees do not have to be Second Language Research SIG members at the time of nomination; however, the award winner will be strongly encouraged to join the SIG if not already a member.
Nomination packets must include:
(1) A 2-3 page letter of nomination elaborating on how the nominee’s research demonstrates the qualities listed in the paragraph above;
(2) The nominee’s most recent curriculum vitae; and
(3) Two representative scholarly publications of the nominee.
Only Second Language Research SIG members may submit a nomination. However, nominees do not need to be members of the Second Language Research SIG at the time of nomination, but are expected to join in order to receive the award (membership can be included as part of the award). Self-nominations will be accepted.
Please send nominations to Mid-Career Award co-chairs: Mikyung Kim Wolf (email@example.com), Xia Chao (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Li-Jen Kuo (email@example.com) no later than January 5, 2021. Late submissions will not be considered.