AAAL 2023 Conference Policies & Waivers
Conference Cancellation Policy
Refunds due to cancellation will be processed as follows:
- Cancellation on or before February 9, 2023 at 11:59 PM EST - Refund 70% of registration fee
- Cancellation on or after February 10, 2023 at 12:00 AM EST - No refund due to cancellation
If registered at a member rate and membership expires prior to the last published date of conference, you will be contacted in advance of conference to either renew membership, or pay the difference between the member registration rate and non-member registration rate. Should renewal not be completed prior to arriving onsite, the membership will need to be renewed onsite or the difference in the non-member and member rate collected prior to entering the conference.
Please note: All cancellation requests must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Membership fees are non-refundable.
Health & Safety Guidelines
AAAL 2023 organizers are following the safety guidelines and protocols of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, State of Oregon, Portland, Oregon, and the Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront. The American Association for Applied Linguistics asks for your help to ensure the safety of all attendees at this event, which will operate consistent with CDC, state, and venue guidance and restrictions related to COVID-19. Participants will receive a logistics email one-week prior to the Conference with this and additional information.
These are our expectations for participation based on existing rules and best practices:
- Vaccines: AAAL strongly recommends that attendees are vaccinated or have a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of participation. The AAAL 2023 conference team will not be checking for proof during the conference.
- Masks: Regardless of vaccination status, masks will be optional for all indoor events.*
- Personal Responsibility: If you are exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms or believe you encountered someone with COVID-19, please get a test and refrain from attending any Conference events.
- Sanitizing Stations: Will be available throughout the Marriott, especially in high traffic areas.
The above approach is consistent with current guidelines but may be subject to change. We are looking forward to seeing you in March 2023, and we thank you for your cooperation to enable everyone to have a healthy experience.
*AAAL 2023 is a family friendly event. If you are in one of our family friendly designated spaces (i.e., the family resting area or mother’s room) masks are strongly recommended.
Dependent Children Event Attendance Policy
The AAAL Annual Conference is family friendly. We welcome your children and dependents to attend conference sessions and events. Our utmost concern is for the safety and security of our attendees and their children. For the purposes of this policy, “children” are defined as birth children, step children, adopted children, and dependents. If you are bringing children with you to the AAAL Conference, please note the following:
- There will a "create your own" name badge station for children who are with a registered attendee of the AAAL Conference.
- For the safety of children attending AAAL, children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult guardian at all times.
- Children may be brought into all conference sessions. If the child becomes a serious distraction to other attendees, we ask that the parent step out to address the needs of the child and then reenter the session.
- For safety reasons, children under 18 will not have access to the exhibition area during the move-in and move-out periods.
- AAAL and the conference hotel are not able to provide childcare during the conference.
- AAAL is not responsible or liable for any child or dependent attendees that are attending the AAAL 2023 Conference Sessions with a conference registrant. Each adult guardian is responsible for the supervision and safety of the accompanying child or dependent.
Registration and attendance at, or participation in, AAAL meetings and other activities constitutes an agreement by the registrant to AAAL's use and distribution (now and in the future) of the registrant or attendee’s image or voice in photographs, videotapes, electronic reproductions and audiotapes of such events and activities.
AAAL Privacy & Data Use Notice
For all AAAL Privacy & Data Use Notice, please click here.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions about any of these policies.