AAAL 2023 Call for Nominations
Deadline: August 31, 2022
Nominations are being accepted for the following positions:
- 1 Second Vice President
- 1 Member-at-Large
- 1 Fund for the Future of Applied Linguistics (FFAL) Trustee
- 4 Nominating Committee Members
Descriptions for each position can be found below.
In addition to meeting the position-specific criteria described below, nominees will also need to submit:
- complete and updated contact information, including current position/title, institution/company/organization, department/program/unit/division, land address with country, email address, and phone number
- a professional organization service record statement (service to AAAL and/or other organizations) (no more than 250 words)
- a formal biographical statement containing information relevant to the position (no more than 250 words)
- a Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Access (DEIA) statement indicating their past, present and future commitment to observing and/or promoting DEIA practices (no more than 300 words). Special attention will be given to the candidate’s consideration of:
- Diversity: respect for the race, color, religion, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, (dis)ability, and linguistic background of AAAL members as well as acceptance of members’ epistemological and methodological differences; candidates’ own diversity with respect to the aforementioned identity categories will also be considered
- Equity: exercise of fairness and impartiality when addressing challenges encountered by members; this includes a commitment to creating opportunities for segments of the AAAL membership who may have been disadvantaged due to limited or restricted access to opportunities for professional advancement and working, overall, towards the implementation of equitable DEIA policies and practices
- Inclusion: development of practices that will make all members feel validated and welcome within AAAL so that they will be able to excel within their respective areas of disciplinary expertise
- Access: design of systems to optimize access to human and material resources as well as create professional development opportunities within AAAL that will enable members to leverage their ability and expertise
Finally, please note that elected individuals will be serving AAAL in a strictly voluntary capacity. Being elected into the position does not include a waiver of membership dues or conference registration fees. In the case of EC member (Positions 1 and 2 listed below), limited travel expenses (depending on the position) will be covered to help enable attendance to mandatory in-person Executive Committee (EC) meetings; travel or accommodations for the annual conference will not be covered.
Criteria for respective positions (see Standing Rule 8: Nominations and Elections) include the following:
- Second Vice President: Candidates are expected to have prior leadership experience in the Association such as Committee Chair or Executive Committee member. It is also expected that the candidates will have a record of other leadership, including but not limited to academic administration, organization of conferences and events, and/or work with non-profit organizations.
- Member-at-Large: Members-at-Large have diverse portfolios and perform a variety of tasks for AAAL. Candidates are expected to have had a record of service to AAAL. It is preferable that candidates have some prior leadership experience in the Association such as Committee Chair, Strand Coordinator, or Task Force Leader. Individuals who have previously served as Members-at-Large may be included on the slate if there is a lapse of three years between the conclusion of their previous term and their re-election. However, in general, we prefer to bring new people into such roles.
- Fund for the Future of Applied Linguistics (FFAL) Trustee: Candidates for FFAL Trustee are expected to have had undertaken some prior service to AAAL and/or the field and its constituencies. Candidates for FFAL Trustee should ideally have experience with budgeting, investments or fundraising. Candidates should be willing to commit to attend AAAL for at least the year they are FFAL Trustee Chair, and ideally for the three years of service (at their expense). Trustees might, but are not are not required to, be prior donors to FFAL.
- Nominating Committee: Being a member of the Nominating Committee involves a significant level of responsibility, and all candidates are expected to (a) have a broad understanding of the field and its constituencies; (b) have provided some prior service to the Association; and (c) be representative of the AAAL membership both in demographic (i.e., geographical location, home institution) and professional terms (i.e., area(s) of specialization and expertise). Note: at least one candidate for nomination to the Nominating Committee must have previously served on the AAAL Executive Committee.
Nominations will be reviewed by the Nominating Committee (NOMCO), which is comprised of the Committee Chair, President-Elect (ex officio) and four newly elected members. Evaluation will be based on strength of service to date to AAAL, alignment with AAAL’s stated mission, values, and commitments, relevant disciplinary expertise, and support of DEIA efforts. The slate of selected nominees will be announced at the Association’s business meeting during the AAAL 2023 Conference in Portland, Oregon.
Selected nominations will be placed on the ballot in Summer 2023 for consideration by AAAL members. Terms of duty commence immediately following the AAAL 2024 Conference (Houston, Texas).
If you are interested, please carefully review the above position requirements and submit the online nomination form below.
If you have any questions about this call, please contact the Chair of the Nominating Committee at nominations@AAAL.org
The deadline to apply is August 31, 2022.