Faculty of Philology,
State University of Applied Sciences, Konin, Poland,
Department of English Studies, Faculty of Pedagogy and Fine Arts,
Adam Mickiewicz University, Kalisz, Poland
Focus on the learner: Contributions of individual differences to second language learning and teaching
Konin, October 17th-19th, 2016
CALL FOR PAPERS
While the effectiveness of second or foreign language instruction hinges on a number of factors, some of which are external to the learner (e.g., teachers’ qualifications and involvement, the instructional practices used, group dynamics, the characteristics of the instructional context), it has long been recognized that success in language learning is to a large extent determined by individual learner differences. Such factors, which can be biological (e.g., age), cognitive (e.g., aptitude), affective (e.g., motivation) or social (e.g., socioeconomic background) in nature and which have been defined and classified in various ways, can be investigated from a quantitative and qualitative perspective, or a mixed-methods approach can be employed in such research. The conference aims to enhance our understanding of such variables, possible interactions between them, and their effect on the processes of language learning and teaching. The event will be of relevance and significance not only to academics, researchers, teacher educators and materials writers, but also to language teachers wishing to enhance their instructional practices.
The event will be organized by the Faculty of Philology, State University of Applied Sciences, Konin, Poland, and the Department of English Studies, Faculty of Pedagogy and Fine Arts, Adam Mickiewicz University, Kalisz, Poland. The organizing committee is headed by prof. Mirosław Pawlak (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Chair and dr. Anna Mystkowska-Wiertelak – Co-Chair, representing both of the institutions.
The following scholars have agreed to participate in the conference and deliver plenary talks.
- prof. Kata Csizér (Eötvös University, Budapest)
- prof. Jean-Marc Dewaele (Birkbeck College, University of London)
- prof. Laura Gurzynski-Weiss (Indiana University, Bloomington)
- prof. Paula Kalaja (University of Jyväskylä)
- prof. Ernesto Macaro (University of Oxford)
- prof. Sarah Mercer (University of Graz)
- prof. Simone Pfenninger (University of Zurich)
We welcome contributions related to the theme of the conference in the form of papers (20 minutes + 10 minutes for discussion), workshops (60 minutes) and posters which could, among other things, focus on the following areas:
- the role of biological and cognitive factors (e.g., age, aptitude, working memory);
- the contribution of affective variables (e.g., motivation, anxiety, WTC);
- different dimensions of the self in second language learning;
- beliefs about different aspects of language learning and teaching;
- learning styles and second language learning;
- socioeconomic factors and success in language learning;
- the role of identity in second language learning;
- individual differences and interaction;
- individual factors and the effectiveness of instructional practices;
- individual differences and new technologies;
- interfaces between different individual difference variables;
- the dynamic nature of individual variation in language learning;
- teaching learners with special educational needs;
- individual differences and teacher education;
- reconciling learner and teacher characteristics in the classroom;
- methodology of research into individual learner differences.
Abstracts of papers and workshops in the range of 250-300 words should be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com by May 31st, 2016 The proposals should include the title, name, affiliation, e-mail address and a short biographical note, about 60-80 words in length. Notifications of acceptance will be sent by June 30th, 2016.
PUBLICATION OF PAPERS
After the conference selected papers will be published in a peer-reviewed volume and the journals Studies in Second Language Learning and Teaching or Konin Language Studies. Further information concerning the publication as well as the submission guidelines will be sent after the conference.
The venue for the event will be the Conference Center of State University of Applied Sciences in Konin, Poland at 4 Popiełuszki St., where all the plenary and parallel sessions will be held, and meals and refreshments will be served.
REGISTRATION AND CONFERENCE FEE
All the participants are requested to return the registration form and pay the conference fee by August, 31st, 2016. The fee, which covers organization costs, conference materials, lunches and refreshments is 450 PLN for Polish participants and 160 euro for participants from other countries. We will be able to refund 50% of the fee before September 20th, 2016 and after that date no refunds will be possible. The fee should be transferred to the following bank account (bank transfer charges are the responsibility of the payer):
Państwowa Wyższa Szkoła Zawodowa w Koninie
ul. Przyjaźni 1
Bank Zachodni WBK SA
BIC (SWIFT) CODE: WBKPPLPP
IBAN number: PL 65 1500 1461 1214 6004 7669 0000
The title of the payment: Focus on the learner 2016 + name of the participant
The registration form is attached at the end of this circular.
The participants are requested to book their own accommodation in the Konin Hotel which has consented to offer a discount on its regular room rates:
Al. 1 Maja 13
62-510 Konin, Poland
tel. + 48 63 243 76 00
fax + 48 63 243 76 07
Rooms are available from October 16th to October 19th. Rates: single room 135-165 PLN (ca. 35-40 euro), double room 165-195 PLN (ca. 45-50 euro), triple room 240 PLN (ca. 60 euro). Breakfast is included in these prices. The name of the conference should be mentioned at the time of the booking.
For further information, participants are requested to contact the Conference Secretaries:
dr. Katarzyna Papaja
Karolina Rakowicz, MA
Faculty of Philology
State University of Applied Sciences in Konin
ul. Przyjaźni 1
62-510 Konin, Poland
tel. (63) 2497240
Information about the Conference and important updates can also be found on the conference website https://sites.google.com/site/focusonthelearner2016konin/
prof. Mirosław Pawlak (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Chair
dr. Anna Mystkowska-Wiertelak – Co-Chair
dr. Jakub Bielak
dr. Marek Derenowski
dr, Katarzyna Papaja
dr, Bartosz Wolski
Ewa Konieczna, MA
Karolina Rakowicz, MA